The anticoagulant reversal drugs market is likely to reach a valuation of US$ 1,137.35 Million in 2022. Furthermore, across the 2022-2032 period of assessment, growth is expected to accelerate at a whopping 15.0% CAGR, reaching US$ 4,601.22 Million. Bleeding disorders can happen as a result of some medications, such as blood thinners, which includes warfarin, heparin, and aspirin.
The high risk of bleeding varies with the anticoagulant agent used. According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) data, the occurrence of bleeding for patients taking warfarin has been projected at 15-20% each year.
Life-threatening bleeding because of warfarin has been projected at a rate of 1-3% per year. Thus, increase in demand for anticoagulant therapies is further creating potential opportunities for reversal agents for anticoagulants. Increasing demand for anticoagulant reversal drugs in case of uncontrolled bleeding is expected to drive the market growth during the forecast period. Some of the common bleeding disorders include blood clots, Von Willebrand disease, and hemophilia A and B. Moreover, rise in usage of reversal agents for life-threatening conditions or uncontrolled bleeding is projected to drive the global anticoagulant reversal drugs market.
Anticoagulant reversal drugs are medications that can reverse the effects of anticoagulants, such as warfarin. These medications are often used to help patients who have experienced excessive bleeding from taking anticoagulants or need surgery while taking anticoagulants. Examples of anticoagulant reversal drugs include vitamin K, fresh frozen plasma, prothrombin complex concentrate, and recombinant factor VIIa.Key Takeaways from the Market Study
- According to Fact.MR, a CAGR of 7% was recorded for the Anticoagulant Reversal Drugs market from 2017-2022
- In FY 2023, the Anticoagulant Reversal Drugs market reached a valuation of US$ 1,137.35 Million
- The market is likely to register a Y-o-Y growth rate of 13.0% in 2023
- By Product, the Idarucizumab Segment is expected to dominate the market, documenting a 14.3% value CAGR
- As per Fact.MR’s projections, the market for Anticoagulant Reversal Drugs in North America will likely expand at a 8% CAGR
- The Anticoagulant Reversal Drugs market in Asia Pacific is expected to expand at an 17% CAGR
“Increasing requirement of anticoagulants for blood-related disorders in case of uncontrolled bleeding is one of the major factors that is expected to boost the growth of the Anticoagulant Reversal Drugs Market during the forecast period,” comments an analyst at Fact.MR.
Prominent players in the Anticoagulant Reversal Drugs Industry are taking advantage of the rapidly increasing demand for the Anticoagulant Reversal Drugs in various applications. To further their outreach, players are relying on collaborations, partnerships and acquisitions with existing small, medium and large-scale players. Some prominent market developments are as follows:
- In October 2021, Alveron Pharma BV raised EUR 3.9 Mn to fund the continued development of OKL-1111, a first in class drug to treat anticoagulant-related bleeding.
- In July 2020, VarmX, a renowned biotech company, raised EUR 32 Mn in series B financing to develop an innovative reversal agent for the treatment and prevention of severe bleeding in patients on oral anticoagulants.
- In July 2020, Janssen Research and Development LLC began the Phase 1 clinical trial for the evaluation of the reversal of the anticoagulation effect of the drug JNJ-70033093 by 4-Factor Prothrombin Complex Concentrate (4F-PCC) and Recombinant Human Factor VIIa.
- In July 2020, Portola Pharmaceuticals Inc. announced the establishment of a permanent J-code (J7169) by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) for Andexxa, a recombinant coagulation factor Xa, that allows reimbursement in the hospital outpatient settings.