As per Fact.MR – market research and competitive intelligence provider, the global COVID-19 saliva-based detection kits market was valued at US$ 1.4 Bn in 2020, with demand expected to decline at a CAGR of -2.8% over the forecast period (2021-2031).
COVID-19 is a severe and infectious disease, with diagnosis at the initial stage playing a significant role in stopping the further increase of cases. At present, the old method of sampling, i.e., nasopharyngeal swab is majorly used for testing. However, the emerging technique of saliva-based testing is a promising alternative for COVID-19 diagnosis.
When patients need to get urgent care for more critical flu-like symptoms, physicians need to perform diagnostic tests as soon as possible. To meet this requirement, test kits should be available at cheaper costs, easy to handle, rapid, and equipment-free. This creates an opportunity for market players to come up with innovative devices to fulfil the requirements of patients and physicians in the future.
Due to rising approvals of COVID-19 test kits that are convenient and simple to use, manufacturers are aiming to introduce new products in the market and get them approved.
- For Instance, in July 2021, Nalagenetics and Nusantics obtained regulatory approval to launch PCR test kits to detect COVID-19 from saliva samples. These kits will function as alternatives to nasal and throat swab tests.
Leading players are focusing on advancements in in-vitro diagnostic procedures with rapid testing. These advancements are expected to gain popularity and generate high revenue in the market.
For instance, in April 2021, Therma Bright Inc. announced that it had received CE approval from an EU-competent authority of Belgium for its AcuVid™ COVID-19 rapid antigen saliva test.
Click Here To get a Sample Report- https://www.factmr.com/connectus/sample?flag=S&rep_id=6902
Key Takeaways from Market Study
- By product, PCR-based kits hold around 73.5% value share of the global market in 2021.
- Based on technology, RT-qPCR is leading with 49.2% market share in 2021.
- Based on application, COVID-19 diagnosis is leading with 63.1% market share in 2021.
- By end user, diagnostic laboratories dominate the market with a value share of 26.8% in 2021, while on the other hand, academic and research institutes are expected to increase at a higher CAGR of 2.5%.
- By country, the U.S. dominates the North America market with a value share of 91% in 2021.
“Rising awareness of home-based testing of SARS COV-2 infection and adoption of saliva-based detection as a feasible specimen are expected to drive market growth over the decade,” says a Fact.MR analyst.
Key Segments Covered in COVID-19 Saliva-based Detection Kits Industry Research
- Rapid Test Kits
- PCR-based Kits
- Direct Sample to PCR
- Lateral Flow Assays
- COVID-19 Research
- COVID-19 Diagnostics
By End User
- Diagnostic Laboratories
- Hospitals & Clinics
- Academic and Research Institutes
- Biopharma Companies
- Long Term Care Facilities
- Home Care Settings
Key players are focusing on expansion in emerging regions and new revised product manufacturing. The strategy of acquisition and collaborations by key manufacturers is further strengthening their market presence.
- For instance, in January 2021, Thermo Fisher Scientific acquired Mesa Biotech, a developer of hand-held test devices for COVID-19 detection. This acquisition enabled Thermo Fisher Scientific to accelerate the availability of reliable and accurate advanced molecular diagnostics at the POCT.
- Similarly, recent developments related to companies manufacturing COVID-19 saliva-based detection kits have been tracked by the team at Fact.MR, which are available in the full report.